Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year


Happy 2014!

This is it! Ready or not 2013 is leaving and 2014 is entering into our lives. The beginning of the New Year is a beautiful time of the year. Our holiday spirit is high and people are excited and looking forward to the New Year, resolutions and more. But before we start our New Year I always like to look back at the previous year and do an inventory of what happened.
For my family 2013 was a bittersweet year. My youngest daughter turned 18 this year, graduated from high school and moved to Chicago for her university. Her leaving made my home empty. This was a change for all three of us but we made sure to stay connected with each other on a daily basis. We were still very much involved in each other’s lives although I am still going through this process of change.  
We didn’t plan to travel anywhere due to more important things such as college and other things. But life doesn’t always go with our plans. Three weeks before my youngest daughter graduated I find out my mother had a stroke and she was in coma for 3 days. When I heard the news I couldn’t think of anything else but to go and visit her. My girls also wanted to go and visit their grandmother. There had been no plan before to go anywhere over the summer but for the summer of 2013 my girls and I went to Karachi and spent the time with family. It was a very painful and stressful visit but we all gained a lot. I am a planner and I think before taking any kind of step especially before going to Pakistan. But this time I felt like there was no planning but family always comes first. As young adults my girls got the chance to see how other people are also living around the world. And how their attitude is towards living without electricity, iPhones and living in more then 100 degree temperature without air-conditioning. Things that we take granted for. This trip brought the whole family closer to each other and made me think more about how important family is. Since we all came back in early July not a day goes by that we don’t think about or talk to family back home. My mother’s sickness took a huge toll on the entire family. We all feel blessed that she is still around us. There were many times we all felt helpless and hopeless but we tried our best.
            In 2013 I reached my goal and both of my girls graduated with honors but after they both moved out I felt empty and lost. My whole life was in front of me. At first I didn’t understand the feelings I had but I had to deep dig and realize that I have never lived by myself. I am used to taking care of others. I never put myself first and now what am I supposed to do with this free time? What is it that makes me happy? I had to do a lot of soul searching. Due to my mother being sick I worried a lot as well and it affected my health. I felt depressed and overwhelmed a lot but I kept moving on and I am glad I made it to the end of 2013. 

We all know that financially and in many other ways, this was another very stressful hard year for many Americans. A lot of bad things happened to lots of people and to our schools and many of us feel lucky to survive through tornadoes and other unfortunate events around us. When I talked to many people and asked how their 2013 was and sadly not many people had a great year. I hope 2014 will be a better year for all of us. For whatever reason if you couldn’t reach your goal don’t be discouraged. We can’t go back into our past but we can always start from where we are and reach our goals in 2014. No matter how your year was good or bad, think positive and hope for the best. Focus on what you have not what you don’t. We are still blessed and lucky to have lots of people who love and care for us! Life is beautiful! I wish you all very Happy 2014 New Year!  

No comments:

Post a Comment