Saturday, January 18, 2014

Gratitude

Gratitude 
On this Thanksgiving Day along with many other blessings, I am also thankful for my job and my co-workers! I am working at Urbana Early Childhood School as a teacher’s assistant. Many years ago, I was jobless and when I couldn’t find a job I decided to substitute. I subbed for two years at Urbana Early Childhood. There was something about that school I always looked forward working there. I was a sub so I didn’t get the chance to get to know the staff as I do now.
Two years ago there was a job opening, I applied and got hired. I was really happy about it. I didn’t have any kind of issues with anybody and the year went beautifully. This year started in August and it’s hard to believe we are in winter already. Each day I look forward going to work. My work is 25 miles away from home. I have to spend extra time and gas money but I don’t mind it at all because of how my co-workers make me feel every single day.
I believe our principle of the school; Cris Vowels is the heart of our school. She isn’t just an amazing principal; she is also a great human being. She is always available for anything.  There were many times I had to ask her for something and I would email her thinking tomorrow I will get the answer from her. Instead she always replies back the same day. She is a beautiful person from the inside out. I can’t even imagine how hard her job is but she is always smiling and finding an answer for everyone. I don’t know if she remembers or not but when she hired me, I cried tears of joy and felt blessed I got hired at my favorite school.
Last year, the room I was in had room teacher Patricia Manuel and her assistant Bernadette Nelson. They are both great teachers and beautiful human beings.  I felt great working with them. We all helped each other and we were like a team. During the last two months of the school year, I found out about my mother’s stroke and was feeling horrible, sad and depressed but those two were there each day; they listened to me, understood my situation, advised me, and supported me as much as they could. They never got tired of me talking about my family. I truly appreciate them and they have a special place in my heart.
This year I am working with Renee McElwain and her assistant Debbie Adams. They are also very nice people. I feel very lucky I am working with them, each day going to work isn’t a drag but I look forward going to it. They also welcomed me warmly and I became a part of the team in no time. They are very respectful people and also have smile on their faces and saying something positive all the time. With many other things I like about them, they are both athletic. And I get my energy from them. It’s kind of a bonus point to me. 
Those aren’t the only women who are great. Both our secretaries Sylvia Ortiz and Judy Vandenberg are also very great women. They are always ready to help out with whatever help you need. They joke around with you and are very friendly and treat you the same everyday. Our OT, PT, librarian and every single person working at my school are good workers and good people. Every single teacher at my school is a great teacher and a wonderful friend. Everyone is always available to help out each other. It’s like a big happy family. I am working with lots of women and only one man. And he is our janitor, Chuck Pirtle. He takes full pride of his work and does a remarkable job. Anything you ask him to do, he’ll do it right away.  He is very respected. He doesn’t chitchat like we women do but if you ask him anything he will respectfully answer you back. He is minding his own business and because of him our school is always clean.
I have worked at many other places before and I am proud to say that I feel like I am at the right place. When I talked to my girls at the end of the day they always ask me, “Mom, how was your work”? And my answer is always, “Great”. One day my daughter said to me how is it possible everyday you are having a good day. I told her, “it’s possible and everyday is a good day at my work”. We’re all working together and respecting each other’s boundaries. On this Thanksgiving I am grateful to each of you individually for all the things you do for me. I truly appreciate you all and feel blessed to work with you! 
Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment