Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Prom Dress


Prom Dress

Once again my youngest daughter and I are on a mission to find a prom dress. We have been all over town but still no dress. This isn’t my first time shopping for prom dresses but this is my last time because she is a senior. It’s not like stores don’t have prom dresses, they do but the one my daughter is looking so she hasn’t found. I don’t conceder myself as a conservative mother and my girls and I both believe in moderation. I wonder if other parents and daughters have also noticed what we have. The prices for prom dresses have sky rocketed. I don’t understand why they are so expensive. Don’t they want every girl to have a prom experience?  

Another major reason she hasn’t found a dress is because most of the dresses are very revealing or short. My oldest daughter and I noticed the same thing last year too, she had a hard time finding the proper dress.  But each year it seems like to us dresses are becoming to show more skin, short, and tight. Every girl’s size and figure is different. But almost all of the dresses are made for full/big figured girls. What about the girls who need a smaller size. Those girl’s choices are limited.

I wonder who is to blame, is it the fashion designers or they are selling what the consumers want. Why would fashion designers want our young girls to show that much skin. I don’t think they are attractive and helping our teens at all. We all know how delicate this age is, they are in the process of finding who they are and at the same time trying to fit in, in this unfit society. Going to prom is a big deal for many girls and they want to look extra pretty, attractive, and happy.  As a mother I have seen in both of my girls how frustrated they get when buying a prom dress becomes stressful instead of fun.

I can only imagine how some parents feel pressured buying unapproved dress for their daughters only because they are selling what they want our girls to buy rather than fulfill our girl’s needs. I don’t thing being fashionable is a bad thing but everything should have a limit and in moderation. And showing skin as much as possible isn’t attractive at all. We think it looks cheap, unattractive and sends the wrong message to bad people.I think clothing itself for our teen girls is a huge issue for society, whether buying a prom dress, or any other kind of clothing for any occasion. When we meet someone, the first thing we look is how the other person is dressed up. And based on their outside look we judge that person and later once we start getting to know each other that is when we find out if we like that person or not. Whatever clothing we have on is what we get judged by.  

I hope fashion designers and society will turn around soon and start making modern clothing for our teen girls. So the next generation doesn’t have to go through the same thing we parents and our girls are dealing with.







1 comment:

  1. I think I can understand your mood, because now online and entity shop is such a dress, but want to buy the real right is difficult.
    prom dresses uk

    ReplyDelete