Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Refreshing


Refreshing

Last month was my birthday, many people called and wished me happy birthday. My close friends asked me when I was free to celebrate with them. My first reaction was; it’s not a big deal, don’t worry about it. I noticed I wasn’t excited or wanting to meet anybody. I treasure my friends very much, we call and text each other all the time but I wasn’t up for going out. It wasn’t about them, it was about me. But at some point I was thinking and asking myself what’s my issue? I used to go and enjoy it but why not now? I didn’t have an answer. I changed my mind and made plans with my friends.

            I had a great time. We all know old friends are priceless. When I was heading home after visiting them, I was thinking, I used to go out and meet my friends all the time why did I stop doing it?  I started digging deeper and one thing to another lead me to losing interest with going out or meeting with friends. My job became my priority; many times the weather stopped me, and my girls. Last year my oldest daughter moved to California for school. And this was my first experience dealing with college applications and sending a child away. I guess that made me tired or I focused solely on her. After she moved out it was just my youngest daughter and I. I wanted to get home from work as soon as I could to be home with her. And once I am home I get busy with house responsibilities and stuff. Before I knew it, I was looking for any excuse not to go out and meet friends.

                        I believe as a human it’s our need to be around other humans. And when we don’t we somehow isolate our self and miss that connection. A daily routine can become boring for some people. I am one of those people. When we do something out of our routine, it can feel overwhelming or uncomfortable but does help us refresh and reconnect with ourselves. Going out doesn’t mean spending money, we can just order coffee/ soda or we can meet at each other homes.

            I am a mother and I will always be. It’s very important to have my own life too, where I can be just me without carrying my mother’s title.  I love people and I like to be around them. Work and house responsibilities will always be there and it’s good to take it seriously, but those things shouldn’t become our lives, it should become a part.

            A couple weeks ago, there was an event at the high school. I haven’t been to high school for a while so it was a weird feeling but I went because I wanted to be there for my daughter. It was really nice to see her performance. After, I ran to many other parents who I haven’t talked or seen in quite a while. And they felt the same way about me. It was really nice seeing all of them and to talk. When I was driving home, I was thinking I am glad I didn’t leave the school right away and got the chance to talk to them. Here and there we all should take a break, go out, meet friends or do something out of our routine. It’s refreshing and healthy for our soul.    


No comments:

Post a Comment