Saturday, December 21, 2013

Holiday season shouldn't be about the material

Holiday season shouldn't be about the material
Christmas is just around the corner. On one side many people are getting excited, about spending time with family, shopping, decorating the house, buying gifts, planning for parties and vacations. But at the same time a lot of people can’t afford all of that and are not looking forward it.
            I know personally many people who absolutely hate this time and want this time to be over as soon as possible. Let’s face it; it’s the most expensive time of the year, and if you don’t have money, that can be very stressful and for some, also embarrassing. Not everyone is lucky to have family around them; I completely understand that part. It’s a very sad and lonely feeling. I don’t celebrate Christmas, but for the last 23 years, I have seen how exciting these times are. It makes me feel joyful, too. But my heart goes out to those who feel left alone, depressed and sad this time of the year.
            Please, when you go Christmas shopping, think about those who can’t afford and are struggling. It won’t make you feel less but a bigger person. I was raised poor, and that’s why I know how it feels when you’re struggling. From an early age I learned the difference between need and want. Many of you might not agree with me, but from what have been seeing in the States, we buy things even when there is no need. And what kind of lesson are we teaching to our kids?
            I am a single mother, and my income is limited, but even when I was married I tried my best to teach my girls the difference between need and want. Now that they are older, they aren’t always making good choices, but I have seen them many times stopping themselves from buying unnecessary things for no reason.
            What’s the most important thing? Are the holidays all about gifts or family time, love or sharing? Things can be broken, but the quality time we spend with each other we will always remember. Don’t take me wrong: I’m not against gifts. It’s a beautiful concept, and it helps to grow love in our hearts. The only thing is we should be careful about is the amount and the thoughts we invest/spend on the gifts.
            “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart”. Washing you happiness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment