Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mehndi (Henna Tattoo)

Mehndi (Henna Tattoo)

“Mehndi or Henna is a paste that is bought in a cone shaped tube and is made into designs for men and women. It is also derived from the Sanskrit word mendhikā.[1] The use of mehndi and turmeric is described in the earliest Hindu Vedic ritual books. It was originally used for only women's palms and never for men, but as time progressed, it is more natural for men to wear it. Haldi (staining oneself with turmeric paste) as well as mehndi are Vedic customs, intended to be a symbolic representation of the outer and the inner sun. Vedic customs are centered around the idea of "awakening the inner light". Traditional Indian designs are of representations of the sun on the palm, which, in this context, is intended to represent the hands and feet”.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehndi 
After the partition from India with many other Indian traditions Pakistani kept Indian tradition alive and Mehndi is one of it. As a child I watched others and getting mehindi on my hands from others was always joyful. The exotic designs, color and the smell, I always enjoyed it. Mehindi always represents happy occasions such as weddings, holidays, birth of a child or many more. But with time mehindi has become more than happy time occasions. People would like to get it done anytime they would like. And in Pakistan Mehindi designs doesn’t represent anything, and it’s not related to religion either.
When I was living in Pakistan I never put on mehindi on my own self or anybody else. I had an idea how to use it but I was not good making exotic designs. When I was at Parkland in 2004 I joined International Student Association (ISA). Every year Parkland celebrates ISA. And the way they celebrate all of the ISA students come up and represent own countries to entire parkland and to the community. It’s a beautiful culture day. Students put on own country clothing, played traditional music and dance and try different food and many more. At that time, Dr Sue Kuykendall Professor of English was also in charged of the ISA. I showed my interest to her doing mehindi on student because it’s part of the Pakistani culture. Without even asking me am I good or okay she showed interest and made me excited. This was my first time ever doing mehindi on students. I myself was in shock there was long line waiting for student to get a mehindi from me. Dr Sue Kuykendall kept encouraging me and made me feel like I am really good at it. I don’t think she knew how I was feeling from inside but because of her support I didn’t care about I was good or bad. I did mehindi with passion and truly enjoyed it.  I didn’t think I was good enough to do mehindi on others but people really enjoyed and that made me feel good. And it has been 6 years and I am still enjoying going to the parkland on ISA day.
Here is the hidden reality about Pakistani culture, if someone aren’t good with something many of the Pakistani people doesn’t support or encourage them but to make fun and let that person know they aren’t good at it. It doesn’t matter is it about mehindi designs, studies, cooking or losing weight or anything. From there side they aren’t making fun or discouraging but the way they say to you  and look at you, you feel small and make you believe you aren’t good at it and instead of trying hard you end up quitting. I am witness to myself and to others.
When I first did mehindi on ISA at Parkland I did it for fun and believed no one would like it because I am not good at it. But the response I received from students and faculty made me feel good. After I graduated from Parkland, Dr Sue Kuykendall was no longer part of ISA but The person who arranged the events at Parkland collage, his name is John Eby and his title is activities Program Manager. I truly appreciate him and thankful to him he saw my work at ISA and liked it. He doesn’t just invite me on ISA he also invite me on other parkland events too.  Every time I go to the Parkland to do mehindi I enjoyed it. It’s not about how much Parkland pay me but how John Eby and Dr Dr Sue Kuykendall make me feel I truly appreciate them. The feeling I get when I am leaving from the Parkland I look forward going back again. It has been more than 5 years since I graduated from Parkland and John Eby still contacted me. We communicate through email and it’s always pretty straight forward and no stress involve at all. I know there are many other ladies do Mehindi in Chamapaign/Urbana but I appreciate him inviting me every year. Because how those two special people and many Americans encourage me and appreciate me I started feeling confident and have done Mehindi on girls scouts, wedding, corn festival, birthdays and many other events. My style isn’t a typical exotic but I do mehindi on tattoo style. 
            Last week was International Education Week at Parkland collage. I was there for Mehindi. But there was something different about this time. I met lost of great people young and old. They enjoyed getting mehindi from me and was quries to know where did I leaned it and how long am I am doing Mehindi. For them is fascinating. I met many very nice ladies who were proud to tell they are back to college after many years and pursuing there goal. While I was talking to them I felt like they came to get mehindi from me but had no idea how much I also gained from it. Mehindi was connection to meet with them. I like people, especially positive and the one doesn’t care about their age or anything but following their dreams.  
            It’s sad to say here in the US culture I represent people truly appreciate and envoy you but your own culture people put you down. I am proud to say because of my American friends where I am today. I thank you for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment