Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thanksgiving/Black Friday

Thanksgiving/Black Friday
Thanksgiving is around the corner. It’s a beautiful holiday! Families and friends are looking forward to seeing each other and spending time together. Most of the people are off from work and that makes it even more enjoyable and memorable. Many people travel just to be with their loved ones. It doesn’t matter from which angle you look at it; it’s a beautiful tradition America has been following. And it doesn’t belong to only one nationality or country, it belongs to everyone.
Thanksgiving was the very first holiday I celebrated in the US. Until this day, 23 years later it’s still my favorite holiday and I have still been celebrating with my family and friends. But at first, I didn’t know much about American culture and why do Americans celebrate Thanksgiving.  After learning all about it I like it even more. But here’s the part I didn’t understand back then and still don’t. On Thanksgiving Thursday, family and friends meet and have a great time together. Thankful for everything for what we have and then a couple hours later people leave the house for black Friday shopping.
Black Friday has become the biggest day for money making. I feel like people feel pressured when they see sale signs and of course who doesn’t want a good deal. But in my opinion, Thanksgiving Day and evening should be with just family and not worry about getting up early or rushing to the stores for better deals. A day before we are thankful for what we have and couple hours later it’s back to buying more things. I also noticed many people don’t know the difference between need and want. They just buy and feel good and some of them later regret it. 
            This is another year lots of people have struggled financially. And it’s not hidden. We all know how our economy was and still is, this year many people struggled and barely made it. We should think about if we were the ones going through a tough time. When you don’t have enough money to pay the bills or feed your family, it’s a very hard thing to deal with. Think before going to the black Friday sales, is this something important and do I really need these things.  Don’t buy just because it’s on sale or looks cute or “you have to have it”. No, you don’t. 
            I am always comparing America with other poor countries all over the world.  Even though America has its own flaws we are still very lucky in many ways and should be thankful for that. Others people are struggling daily with basic needs such as clean water, food and shelter and here I see people’s homes are full of things but still complaining and buying more. Why is that? Have we become materialist and putting our families last? I wonder that. When we get the chance to spend time with family, why don’t we take full advantage without any distractions? Thanksgiving is a beautiful American tradition. Hopefully our kids with continue it like we do, but when they see how much buying things have become more important than spending time with family, what kind of lesson are we teaching them.
Have a great thanksgiving with your family and friends and I thank you for reading my stories and helping me to grow. 
Black Friday:
“Because only in America, people trample others for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what they already have”!

No comments:

Post a Comment