Sunday, November 3, 2013

Saeeda Baji (older sister)


Saeeda Baji (older sister)

Today is July 4 2012 at 2:18 AM. For the last few hours I have been trying to sleep but can’t since I got a text from home. “Her surgery just started and it will be done in 2.5 hours. Keep praying”. Her whole life is in front of my eyes like a movie, I never thought I could be so attached to her.

Her name is Saeeda. She is my eldest sister and that’s why we all call her Baji. Baji means an elder sister with respect. She is five years older then me. Growing up I don’t have many memories of her. But I remember that she was in 2nd grade with me. At that time I wondered how they two of us could be in the same grade but I never asked. I also noticed that she was getting special treatment from the teachers and the principle. Before we both finished 2nd grade she stopped going to school and stayed at home.

Later this is what my mother told me about her. She was born perfectly normal, no physical issues; as a matter of fact she is prettier than all five of us sisters. But when she was nine years old our father suddenly died from cancer and she went into shock. She lost her ability to speak properly and became very aggressive. I still remember in school she would always sit in a big red chair and the whole class knew it was her chair. One day one of the boys decided to sit in her chair. I don’t know if he did it on purpose or not but she got very angry and slapped him. He started crying and the teacher took her to the principle’s office. Since that day she never went back to school.

Instead she stayed at home and helped our mother out with house chores. She wasn’t physically aggressive toward any of us but if she gets upset her language becomes very violent and vulgar. She cried and cried and wouldn’t talk to any of us for days. She is very sensitive. None of us could have a normal conversation with her. She wouldn’t understand but she always complained that she was treated like a child. She behaved like a child but she always wanted to be treated like an oldest sister with responsibilities.

Growing up we all noticed that our mother treated her differently and gave her extra care and love. Still none of us ever became jealous of her because of that. Though we didn’t know what was wrong with her we felt it. She never had friends like the rest of us and stayed home with our mom. Our mother was very protective of her.

Slowly when I started growing up, I noticed that her language was bad it was hard to understand her. As family we got used to it but outsiders have a hard time understanding her. She tries her best to help but she has no understanding, for example about cooking for 4 people versus 8 people. She always cooks a lot. She wouldn’t take a shower or change clothes until it was really dirty or until mom made her change, then she would get upset. When we came home from school she served lunch to us and wouldn’t let any of us clean the table or help her out. Later on I learned that was her thing and it was making her happy. She enjoyed stitching and I remember she leaned quite a while from all of us. She always wanted to go to school with us. When we were doing homework, she would come and sit with us. She also had a backpack with her notebooks too. Mom would give her something to write and learn but she had a learning disability as well.

Back then people didn’t have awareness about how to treat people that were different. The way our mother raised all five of us we never treated her differently. Yet other kids would call her crazy and make her cry for hours. She would get really mad and run after them to hit them; the kids laughed at her and thought it was funny. I still remember her crying, painful and hopeless face.

I never liked seeing her serving food to all of us or cleaning after us. I tried so hard to stop her but many times she thought I was against her and she would get upset at me. I guess she enjoyed doing house chores, cleaning and cooking. One day when she was 17 while we were at school she was cleaning and opened the glass window. She didn’t know it was loose and that her hand was underneath the whole glass came on her hand and cut the veins in her fingers. Mother told us later that she screamed and the blood was all over. As soon as mom took her to the hospital they had to do emergency surgery. When she got home she was smiling and showed all of us what happened. She said to us, “I am a very strong girl, I didn’t even cry”. As soon as her hand started feeling a little bit better she started doing everything again. However the doctor said that by the time she got to the hospital she had lost lots of blood and her veins had begun to shrink. They did physical therapy for a short time but there was nothing else that could be done. Her hand wasn’t the same after that because now she can’t no longer touch her fingers together.

My two other elder sister’s marriage proposals started coming and soon they were married. Saeeda didn’t like that, she used to fight with mom and tell her that our mom didn’t love her that’s why she wouldn’t get her married. Though there were no proposals for her, she wasn’t aware that there was something wrong with her. When my marriage proposal came she was 22 years old, though it wasn’t my fault I felt guilty.

No one told mom that there were special schools that could help people like Saeeda. However it may have been hard for her to accept that there was something wrong with her. After our father’s death she became her security blanket, and I don’t think that mom wanted to let go. I noticed when I moved to America that there were schools for people like her; I wished that she had had the opportunity to come here.

As we got older we started thinking about how she had never been properly diagnosed or treated. One day I called my other sister and talked her into going to a doctor to see what the problem was. After many tests and results we found out that from birth she had a mental disability. We still don’t know if that had something to do with our father’s death but that’s when mom started noticing it and she blamed it on his death.

She is 45 years old now and living with our mother, she is still taking care of the house. Mom and Saeeda are so close and are like best friends. Many years ago suddenly my other sister’s husband passed away and she moved in with her two daughters. When I went back home to visit 5 years ago, I saw a strong team bond between all five of them and that made me feel really good. Anywhere my sister and nieces goes they always take her with them. They carefully take care of her needs.  Every time I called home I talk to Saeeda too. Sometime’s I understand what she is saying sometime’s I don’t. But I don’t show her. I try to make her laugh because it is the purest laugh I’ve heard.

When we were young I don’t remembered how but we got really weird nick names that us sisters still call each other. She was called grandfather, mainly because of her strong personality. I was called stick becomes I was skinny. Still whenever we talk to each other that is what we call each other.

Three weeks ago I got a call from my other sister and she told me that they had found a tumor in Saeeda’s uterus. My first reaction was God why her? They also found out that she has hyperthyroidism and due to that she has been loosing weight very quickly. From 130 lbs to 90 lbs. She is anemic as well and has to have bloods before and after the surgery. Because she’s anemic her heart rate was abnormal. When I called and asked how she was doing she said, “don’t worry about me I am a very strong woman and don’t you cry”. No doubt she is a very strong woman. 

Today was her surgery. Not to long ago I got a call from my niece with news that her surgery was five hours long due to her heart issue. But the surgery is all done and she will be in the Intensive Care Unit for the next 24 hours.

Last night my sister called me and said that the surgery was successful. They will take her home soon. I pray to God to please take good care of her and give her a healthy and long life (Amen). She is a blessing to our family. She has had a very hard life but she accepts who she is and is always smiling and taking care of her family. I wish her all the happiness in the world and miss her a lot.

Love Zainab  

No comments:

Post a Comment