Sunday, November 3, 2013

Journey of life


Journey of life

Last Sunday my eldest daughter moved to LA for college. A week before I took her to the airport, I started feeling like this was it. It’s time for me to let her fly and trust that she will make the right decisions for her.

It has been a very bittersweet time. Different parents have told me different things about how they felt after their kids moved away. I didn’t know what to expect. When I had to say goodbye to her there were tears running down my cheeks. Yet I accepted that I had to let her go, I felt like she was ready. The feelings I had were very calm, happy, and proud. I am proud to say that I raised her and she is a very good girl. She is at the place she needs to be. Of course I miss her but that’s natural.

Driving back home from the airport was difficult and weird.  The whole time I was thinking about her. My youngest daughter was with me. When we walked into the house I thought I might break down. But I didn’t, instead I sat down in her room looked around, and cherished all the beautiful memories we have.

I am relatively good at adapting to new situations. So the next day when I got up I realized that this isn’t just a new situation for her but for me too. This is a new chapter of our lives. She is in a new place and is going to have all new experiences. Therefore I should do the same thing.

Every step we go though in life teaches us more about ourselves and more about life. We should try to accept life as it comes and go with the flow. This way life doesn’t seem so hard and complicated. As parents we should grow with our children. We need to guide our children, give them the security that we are there no matter what. Then when the time comes they determine their own course in life, but we will still always be there for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment