Saturday, November 16, 2013

Please don't take advantage of good people

Please don’t take advantage of good people
In May 2013, my youngest daughter finished her high school. And she decided to go to college out of town. Once she decided this, there was no point for us to keep my girls’ car. We decided to sell it. We made an ad and posted it all over the town. Lots of people contacted us but there was one text that came from a lady who was showing a lot of interest in our car. She told me she is a single parent of 3 years old, she is working and recently got into a car accident that totaled her car. She sounded like she needed a car as soon as possible.
She asked me questions about the car and I told her everything. Then she asked if it was ok for her to give my number to her Dad, because he was the one who would buy the car for me. I told her sure. The next day I got a call from her father. He seemed very nice and also asked me lots of questions about the car and I provided them with the best of my knowledge.
He said to me,  “Before we buy your car, I want my mechanic to look at it”. I said, “Sure, I think it’s a great idea”. Two days later I drove my car to his mechanic and that’s when I met his daughter for the first time. She seemed very young to have 3 years old. We talked for a little bit, through her talking I felt like she was desperate for a car because she told me her parents have to drop and pick her up from her work everyday and also they were watching her child. Before we left from the car place she told me she is going to talk to her father and he would call me. I told her sure. The car wasn’t a new car so it needed some repair but over all it was a reliable car. She told me she really like our car. I was feeling bad for her, there was apart of me that wanted to help her. We, girls and I talked and decided to sell it to her.  
Next day her dad called me and asked me if he could come and look at the car and take it for a test drive. I said sure, he came with his friend and they both drove and also showed interest. He said to me, they had been looking for a car for his daughter for a long time and they really like our car. The only thing was, the car needed some repairs and asked if we could drop the price a little. I told him I needed to think about it and would get back to him. I talked to my girls and we already wanted to help her so we decided to sell it to them with a little lower price.
I called and let them know and she was very happy. Three days later, we decided to meet at the DMV that way he could get the license plates and she would be able to drive. Everything seemed to be going just fine. We went to DMV and met him and his daughter there. She seemed very happy and he seemed like a caring father. I singed the title and sold the car to them. But when it was time to get the license plate and registration, they didn’t know the DMV didn’t take credit cards, they only take check and cash. It was around 4:45 pm and they close at 5:00 pm. He had his checkbook with him, the lady who was working at the counter didn’t say that ahead of time he would need two separate checks or he could combine the checks together. After he wrote the first check she asked him to write another check except he didn’t have any more checks left and brought exact cash to give to me for my car. Both him and his daughter didn’t have any extra cash with them. Time was running and I was feeling bad for them. He was thinking about going to ATM to take some cash out. But by the time he came back the DMV would be closed. I thought about it and my girls were feeling bad for them too. For some reason I had my checkbook with me so I asked the counter lady if I could right a check for him, if they could accept it. She said, “sure”.  It wasn’t a huge amount. Him and his daughter were grateful to me and he said, as soon as I get home I would mail you a check. I said “okay”.  
We sold our car to them in mid August and this is the month of November and I still have not received my money. In late August and September I called and texted both of them and since then nobody has replied or sent a check to me. It wasn’t a big amount but that part is still bothering me, I helped them thinking they needed help and was hoping they would appreciate me but since it has been 3 months, looking back they took advantage of me. And that is the part bothering me the most.
When people do these kinds of things, it’s hard to trust the right people. People should think before they take advantage of others. Now looking back at that time I know I did the right thing but here and there I question myself, why did they take advantage of us. We were already helping them; I lowered the price and wrote a check for them. I didn’t have to do any of that but since I put people first and I felt that it was the right thing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment