Sunday, November 3, 2013

Reality of the Single parent’s


Reality of the Single parent’s

Eight years ago I became a single mother of two daughters. When I was going through my divorce, of course I had no idea what I was getting into. I had many unknown fears. But at that time, without knowing much about the single parent reality, I thought since I am living in the USA and the law gives more support to women, we would be okay at least financially. But still being a single parent is a lot more than just financial support. In many cases the mother gets child custody and the father gets visitation rights.  Everyone knows it’s not hidden, men make more than women. But a woman is the one left with the kids to raise all by herself.  When divorce happens normally, not in every case, the father leaves the house and now the mother is responsible for taking care of the house, kids and herself. There are handful of fathers out there who will support their ex-wives and kids happily, the majority does not.   

In my case I decided to go to school, becoming a student and a single parent at the same time. Unfortunately due to the US economy, I had to start supporting my girls and myself at the same time. Raising a child is the hardest job on this planet. Don’t take me wrong, I love my girls more than anyone, they are the best thing that happened to me. But raising a good child isn’t just about feeding or providing a shelter. It’s whole lot more.

             I am my girls’ mother, maid, driver, friend, counselor, adviser, supporter, cook, and whole lot more. I believe as a mother, we aren’t just raising one human being, I still remember when I was in high school my principal, whenever she had free time, would come to our classroom and instead of teaching from the text book she would simply talk to us about life. When I got married I tried my best, now my girls are 18 and 19. I can see their foundation is pretty strong. My kids are our next generation, we mothers have a big job and our kids’ futures are in our hands.

I had many days where I felt overwhelmed, frustrated, trapped and very tired. But good mothers don’t quit. Here and there when I reach that point I take a break and then the next day I get up and start walking again. My girls aren’t and never will be a burden to me. But it’s a huge responsibility.


No comments:

Post a Comment