Monday, October 21, 2013

What Security?

                                                                  What Security?
As we all know US airport security is pretty tight. We can’t bring whatever we would like to carry like we used to. There are rules and we have to follow them. If you don’t follow them or accidentally pack something you shouldn't security has you dispose of it immediately.
Last month my daughters and I went to Pakistan to visit my family. We packed according to the rules and weighed our bags before we left the house. There was no issue going through Pakistan. Everything went well. Last week when it was time to come back we started packing. Once again we didn't have anything we shouldn't bring back to the USA. Our suitcases got weighed and were ready to go.
My eldest sister took very good care of us when we were in Pakistan. She is a very good cook and so anything we wanted she made it for us and it was delicious. She was worried for our trip back and wanted to make some snacks for us. I told her that we wouldn't be able to bring anything back with us and we would buy whatever we needed from the airport, but she insisted. In a 100-degree temperature she made snacks for us. I couldn't say no to her. In my mind I was wondering if I would have to get rid of it at security, but I wanted her to have it so it wouldn't go to waste.
In addition to the snacks we had mangoes. Our entire family loves mangoes and as we were about to leave I joked saying that I should bring some back. Immediately my sister started packing the mangoes. I told her that we couldn't bring open food to the USA but she said that if there was a problem we could give it back to her at the airport.  So I put it into my carry on bag and I figured that if there was a problem I could just take out the food. Honestly my girls were more nervous then I was but I told them it wouldn't be a big problem.
At the Karachi, Pakistan airport my bags went through the screening and they didn't say anything. I was thinking that since we are US citizens, when we reached the O’Hare airport that would be when we would have to deal with immigration. Before we reached O’Hare every traveler has to fill out an immigration form saying what you were bringing. I was honest and checked the column that said yes to food. When we reached O’Hare the Immigration officer asked for our passports and the immigration form and let us on our way. I was waiting for him to say something about the food but he didn't  The next day my girls and I enjoyed eating Pakistani mangoes and snacks. I told my sister about it and she was also in shock but happy it didn't got thrown away.
I still can’t believe it, at least 5- 6 times my bags went through the screening and the food didn't have a problem. I am a good citizen and didn't do anything wrong but at the same time I felt that it would have been only right for security to question my fruit. The fact that they didn't concerned me even though it’s a small thing. We never know what may happen that may affect our security so why not follow through on everything rather than let some things slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment