Wednesday, October 30, 2013

It's a wonderful life


It’s a wonderful life



Yesterday was December the 24th and the girls were with their father. I didn’t have anywhere to go or anything to do. I hardly ever watch television but last night I decided to relax and watch some television. When I turned it on the 1946 movie “It’s a Wonderful Life” was playing. I had seen this movie before but there was something different about watching it this time. I felt very connected with the character George Bailey. As I was growing up I had dreams just like him. I was always thinking about how far I could go and about how successful I could be. I didn’t want to be like other people.  But life isn’t that simple and unexpected things happen.

My name is Zainab. I was born in the low middle class in Karachi, Pakistan. My father passed away when I was three years old. Because of that life for my mother was really hard especially in a male dominant country and being a single mother of five girls under 10 years of age.

I have good values and I did respect others. But I didn’t want to be stuck in the same place for the rest of my life just like George. I had dreams of becoming an actress and a model, however when I was in grade school I decided that when I grew up I would become a medical doctor and moved to a better place. I was young, naïve, and ambitious. I didn’t think about how I would do that or about how much medical school would cost and other such things. I also never wanted to get married until I followed my dreams.

 Growing up I was a very shy girl. But I always did the right thing.  I loved my mother and my sisters. My older sister was finishing high school when her marriage proposal came and at that time she was only sixteen years old. Six month later she got married. A few years later the same thing happened to my other sisters.

When I turned sixteen it was expected that my marriage proposals would start coming. I started thinking about how I didn’t want to get married until I become a doctor but I didn’t have a voice to raise. Knowing my culture and my mother’s situation, as soon as we all get married the lesser the burden would be.  Back then in the Pakistani culture women were supposed to get married as soon as possible.

One day when I got home from school, my mother said, “Go change and freshen up, someone is coming to see you today.” I had had a long day at school and had a lot of homework to do, but I also knew that this day was coming. I was 16 and finishing high school when my husband’s marriage proposal came for me. I had never met him before. He was one of our distant relatives. Nobody asked me what I wanted. But even if they had asked I couldn’t have said no. Saying no would have meant that I was going against my family and my culture. Whether I was ready or not I would have to accept it. That was my first sacrifice. I had to put my dreams of becoming a doctor in the trash. I was forced to start thinking about him instead.

Two years later I made another sacrifice. I left my family, friends and country for my husband and moved to the United Stated of America. I didn’t have a choice in the matter. Everybody else was very happy about it. Compared to Pakistan the United States was heaven. I had never wanted to come to the United States but I came as a bride and now my job was to be a good wife and a good daughter in law. When I looked at my sister in laws who were independent and following their dreams I envied them. I wanted to be just like them. As a Pakistani woman once you got married the second thing that you had to do was have a child. Again it didn’t matter whether I was ready or not. When my first daughter was born that was the happiest day of my life. I felt like she was mine and nobody could take her away from me. Two years later my 2nd child arrived. I become a full time mother. All of my dreams were at the back of my head. I was a mother and a wife. When my kids started getting older and I started thinking about how much free time I could have. Maybe now I could spend time with my husband and be happy. Unexpected things happened again. I came to the country as a bride for my husband but according to him he wasn’t happy with me and one day he asked me for a divorce.

I was devastated. I didn’t know what to do or where to go. At this point I was twenty nine years old. I had to decide if I wanted to stay in the States all by myself with my girls or should I go back to Pakistan and be close to my family. I decided to stay. I didn’t want to go back. But as a single mother I would be better off in America then back home. I had seen my mother struggle and I didn’t want that for me and my girls.

Having a high education dream is still alive in me. I decided at the age of twenty nine that I would go back to school and get a college degree. I had to start from beginning and it was big challenge for me. I still wanted to become a doctor but that wasn’t practical anymore. Now that I was a single mother of two young girls I had to start supporting us.  As soon as I got my Associates Degree I started looking for a job. I applied at many places but nobody would hire me. Someone told me that I could become a substitute aide. My goal was to make money so I become a teacher’s substitute aide. Just like George Bailey I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. But deep down I was struggling. This is not what I wanted my life to be like but I can’t do anything about it.

People asked me if I would get married again they said, “You are beautiful and you are a nice person, you deserve to be happy.” I didn’t have an answer to that question. Once again I didn’t want to be selfish because it wasn’t about me anymore it was about my girls. I didn’t date or bring any guys home. I respected my girls and did fun things with them.

There were days when I hated my situation. I felt trapped, unhappy, sad and very frustrated. I wanted to leave everyone behind and be selfish. But just like in the movie God sent an angel to help George and showed him how many lives are affected by one person, and how lucky he was to have a family, friends and everything else.

Two years ago when the American economy went down it hit my home hard. I started worrying about money all the time. I was depressed and feeling very low. I began seeing my family and friends a lot less. Most of the conversations with my girls were about money. Without realizing it I was giving my insecurities and stress to them. I was in a cranky mood all the time and I was very unhappy and frustrated. I wanted to runaway from everything and everyone but I felt stuck.  Last summer at some point my oldest daughter who was fourteen at that time tried very hard but couldn’t take it anymore and everything that was bottled up inside her came out. The first sentence came out from her mouth was “I hate money. I wish people could live without money and be happy. You are always talking about money and I am tired of it.” She went on and on about how much stress she was in and pain due to the money issue. She made me realize how much she missed her mother and just spending time together. She also said, “I don’t care about anything mom I just want us to be happy”. She made me realize what I was doing. I was measuring myself based on money and feeling worth it. She also made me realize how much I meant to my girls and how important they are for me.

Just like George Bailey I felt the heat about going far from my girls and putting money before them. I didn’t like it at all. I also realized that I didn’t have to talk about money all the time. She helped me get back on track and helped me realize how important my family is to me.       

A year ago I started accepting everything without blaming anyone. Now I am thirty seven years old living in The States with pride. I am working on my Bachelors degree and although I may never fulfill my dreams I wouldn’t change the events in my life one bit. My girls make me happy and I feel blessed to have them family and friends. We are all healthy compared to many others and are living a pretty good life. There is no guarantee that a medical degree would have provide me with what I have now. Whatever happened must have happened for a good reason and I can say from the bottom of my heart that it’s a wonderful life.

 Zainab Susi

December 25, 2009 

No comments:

Post a Comment