Sunday, January 18, 2015

Stranger danger


Stranger danger is the phrase we use to sum up danger associated with adults whom children do not know. We teach kids that to protect them from danger. That makes complete sense and we, the parents and adults feel like that’s our responsibility to protect kids from strangers.
Here is my observation about adults. We don’t just use the term stranger danger for kids we also use it for other adults as well. Many adults are afraid of each other. We feel uncomfortable talking to them, saying hi or simply smiling at them. I am not saying everyone is good and we shouldn’t be cautious but at the same time, why are we afraid of each other?
Here is the point I am trying to make. I know I am not the only one who has noticed that when we go out we all notice how many people are alone. I talked to many of my friends and asked how they felt about going out alone and noticing other people ignoring them? And of course none of them liked it. What and why are we afraid of each other? Let’s not even go far lets think about our own town. How many single people living alone and wish they could have someone to talk to.  They aren’t looking anything else. But simply  a good conversation or a company so they don’t feel alone.
With our technology world, pretty much everyone is on their cell phones and there is absolutely no human interaction. Even when we go to the grocery store, you don’t have to talk to anyone. You grab whatever you need, scan your items, pay and leave the store without saying a word to anyone. I know many time it’s convenient but at the same time how sad is it to have no human interaction at all.
I am one of those and I like people and I believe it’s important to have interaction with others. Couple months ago, I was out with a friend. We were eating and talking when we noticed there was a person eating alone and he was on his cell phone. My friend said, “hi” to him and then we invited him to join us. He felt comfortable and we talked for a long and we all had a good time. I even said to him, “Why can’t we invite other people and eat together and have a good time?” He said, “Yes, why not”. I have met many people like that.
Last year I took my daughter to a hair salon and that’s when I met an older man. I don’t have words to describe how impressed I am by him. We exchanged phone numbers and then later met many times. I am glad I am not afraid of people. The only time people aren’t afraid to talk to others is when they are on their vacation. Why is that? It’s because they are relaxed and their attitudes are,  “I am on my vacation and I am going to have fun”. Or they know they aren’t going to see those people ever again.
Another place I noticed that people feel more comfortable talking to each other is at the bar. They even have full conversations, laugh and have a great time. Some people even exchange phone numbers and make plans to meet again. Why is it acceptable at the bar and on vacations to talk to people but not other places?
I also wonder how many single people don’t even leave their home because they  feel lonely and even when they go out people don’t talk to them. Or they get the vibe from others about stranger danger. I feel really sad and sorry for those people. We humans are suppose to have interactions with each other. I can’t even imagine how those people must feel so lonely and alone.

I hope you get my point, let’s not be over protective and miss out. Look at each other and treat others how we want to be treated. In my personal experience, we have more good people than bad people. But because of those bad people we judge good people too.  And that’s not fair to them. Let us open our hearts to others and be nice to them. They don’t need anything from us but company or a nice conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment