Saturday, February 21, 2015

Thirty days at a time


They say it takes about 30 days to break an old habit and to start a new one.  I took the challenge and succeeded and now I am hoping this will be a lifetime habit. As many of you know, I was a worrier and lived either in the past or look forward into the future. First, I didn’t  know how to live in the present, and even when I tried, I struggled. But I didn’t quit because it was and still is important for me.  
Pretty much all of my life I lived chasing securities. Before 2014 was about to end I was so tired of worrying about everything all the time and suddenly the light bulb went on, and  it made me realize whatever happened is in the past I can’t go back and change it. But I do know what is happening now and all I have is this present moment which is more powerful than yesterday and tomorrow. I learned from TKD and many self-improvement books say the same thing, don’t resist it. You need to accept it as you have chosen it. And that’s what I did the entire month of January 2015.
Before 2015 started I made this goal that the entire month the very first thing in the morning before I get off my bed, I took few minutes to myself and told myself no matter what I am going to have a good day today. And whatever happened, yesterday is gone. Today is a brand new day. I am proud to say I achieved my 30 day goal. Of course not everyday was a great day but I didn’t let anything bother me. I changed my attitude, too, and started looking at everything as nothing stays forever, and things could be worse, so instead of resisting or fighting, I accepted it. At first I thought it would be hard to think positively not every minute of the day but each day. But honestly it wasn’t. I felt lighter, happy, relaxed, and calm.
Different people have different habits, and they want to change it. Here I am telling you it’s possible to change any habit you choose to change or add. It may take time, but it’s possible. I am an optimistic person and I am a big believer that having a positive attitude plays a huge role in your life. And everything starts within yourself, as long as you are willing to change, YOU CAN DO IT! I hope my living in the present moment habit will stay with me for the rest of my life.
Eckhart Tolle said, “The past has no power over the present moment”  I wonder how many of us are still living in the past and missing the present moment while hoping for a better future. If we think about it deeply, how sad is that, even though you know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it?  What ever happened in the past is gone. There is nothing wrong hoping for a better future. But nobody knows what will happen in the future but we do know what’s happening now. We can see it, touch it and feel it. Don’t let your past destroy your present. You have the power to change it.
I recently chatted with a friend of mine. He is a great husband, father, and friend. But when I talked to him he told me “I am living in the past or into the future. I don’t know how to live in the present moment”. I am proud of him at least he knows and he is accepting it.    There was a long time I was living like him,  because the present moment was unpleasant,  and when I looked back at the past it seemed better than the present, and of course the future was unknown so I wanted to be in the future. I learned from my own life experiences and from the reading that the present moment is all we have. And that’s million-dollar truth. Accept it, feel it and you would be surprised to see how much enjoyment you’ll receive from it.
Have a happy living in the now!

No comments:

Post a Comment