Thursday, September 25, 2014

Our Baby Chachi


We all have relatives, but some relatives are pretty special and go beyond what’s expected of them. Our Baby chachi is one of those special relatives. Her real name is Sultana Malika, but when she was a child, she got the nickname “baby” and that name became her identity. It stayed with her when she got married, became a mother, an aunt and even a grandmother. Baby chachi was married to my father’s younger brother and that’s why we call her chachi; which means aunt. Baby chachi was very young when she got married to my uncle. They had a age difference but she got mature in no time and learned how to handle pretty much everything. She was the best wife my uncle could have asked for.  Here is an interesting side of her.
Chachi didn’t have proper education but she understood the value of education, all of her 6 kids are college graduates and some became engineers. After my father passed away, my mother was going through a really tough time raising 5 girls alone. Chachi and my uncle took a huge step for which my mother and all of us sisters are very grateful. They bought the house next to our home and gave my mother the security that she wasn’t alone. They showed that we are all one big family. They both proved it every single day and are still doing it. All of us five sisters and six cousins grew up together. It was a beautiful priceless time. We were each other’s friends and had the time of our lives.
My Ami was older than chachi and chachi always respected that. At the same time they both had an understanding and mutual respect for each other, I would say that if my Ami trusted anyone that was chachi. She was caring and loving towards all of my sisters but from an early age I felt a special connection between chachi and I. Chachi and my uncle always made sure we were okay and didn’t want for anything. Growing up every year before Eid (a Muslim Holiday) she made sure we had new outfits and were excited for the holiday. I don’t remember what year, but before one of the Eid’s I didn’t like the clothes she had bought me. I didn’t say anything to her but she read it on my face. She took it back immediately and brought another one which I liked. She made a beautiful butterfly dress for me. It was a moonlight fabric and the colors were red and white. I can still close my eyes and see that dress. I don’t even know if she remembers that but I do. She was and is still the kind of woman that would do anything for those she loves.   
When my marriage proposals started coming she didn’t want me to marry just anyone. She would talk to my mother and my uncle. She rejected some because they were ordinary people. For as long as I can remember chachi was our other mother that we could count on and who looked after all of us sisters fiercely.
Before my Ami passed away, chachi would come every day and pray for her and stay by her side. We all knew what was going on with our mother and it was just matter of time. But seeing Ami in the condition was really painful. My oldest sister is a little bit mentally disabled and she was really close to Ami.  I thought that maybe Ami is not letting go because she is worried for her. They say people in comas can still hear everything going on around them. I thought maybe we needed to talk to Ami and let her know, she will be just fine. I didn’t think that conversation would be easy but chachi being there made it easier. There are no words to describe how you can prepare yourself for that kind of conversation. My second oldest sister, baby chachi and I were in the room with Ami and we started the conversation. Baby chachi told Ami, “I am here and I will never leave your girls alone. You don’t have to worry about anything”. And then she broke down. It was so painful and hard to see my baby chachi crying like that.
Our Baby chahee is a very loving and sweet woman. The way she talks to you, shows how much she care about you, you can feel it. Every time I come back to the US it’s very difficult to say goodbye to her. Many years ago my uncle passed away and all her kids got married. Now chachi is living with her kids and enjoying her time surrounded by her family. I feel really blessed and loved from her. After Ami passed away she still checks on my sisters and nieces makes sure they are okay. I know she will keep doing it as long as she can. I hope we can have more aunts like my baby chachi.

No comments:

Post a Comment