Saturday, September 24, 2016

My country's music came to my back yard

Sept. 9 was my very first time going to Krannert Center for their opening night. I didn’t know what to expect, except I knew there would be a different kind of band playing.  Krannert is one of my favorite place in town. When I walked in, the lobby was full of people, there were many different kinds of food, and a band was playing. I ran into many familiar faces and I was enjoying my time there.
After I walked around with my friends, we decided to listen to the band and have a good time. I wanted to see which band was playing. Before even I looked up, I heard the drums beating, and right away I knew they were playing Indian music. The sound of drums beating took me back to back home. It was so nice to hear my own country’s music. Soon I learned that the band called Red Baraat, and they came from Brooklyn, N.Y. Red Baraat’s energy was great, and the songs they sang were in my native language.
When we immigrants left our birth county, it was a huge part of us we leave behind. When we see the native food we grow up with, we get excited about it. Also the people who speak same language feel connected with each other. But with time we may lose the taste of our food and the language or the connection with others. But I must say the music you grow up will always stay with you.

We are very lucky to have krannert within our reach. When I heard Red Baraat at karannet, it was like having my country’s music take me back to my background. It’s not like I haven’t heard my native language’”s live music before. Yes, I have but in the big city, not in Urbana. One of the downsides of living in a small town is things are limited. If you want more experiences then you have to travel, and that takes planning. But I was really proud and happy to see the band at Krannert. Yes, this is a small time but sometimes small town surprise you, and that’s when  you appreciate your small town. I know I do.   

No comments:

Post a Comment