Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Black Friday


I talked to many people about how they felt about Black Friday.  Believe it or not nobody agrees and strongly believes that around Thanksgiving people should spend their time with families rather than planning on shopping early the next day.
I also agree. Thanksgiving is a beautiful American tradition and we should keep it as it is or make it better. That day is all about being thankful for people and everything we have. But it’s seems like we are losing the real value, instead of being thankful some people are rushing to get to the store to buy more things.   
The way I look at it that, it’s not just about us but it’s also about our next generation. We are paving the way for them so they can keep the  tradition going.  What kind of message are we giving to them? Spending time with family or buy more and more things just because it’s on sale. Aren't we teaching them to be materialistic over family values?
As many of you know I grew up very poor. Growing up there were many days we didn't have food to eat and growing up around five sisters there was not a single thing I could call my own. I wore clothes passed down to me. But here is the beautiful side to all that. The way my mother raised us we didn't care about  things or who gets what. As long as we had each other we truly cared and loved each other. Things don’t make us happy. What makes us happy are the feelings, love and care we provide for each other. Kids watch what our actions, not what we say. It is sad to say especially in the states, we Americans are so in to having more and the bigger is better. Everything has to be from the latest technology to following the  latest fashion. Sometime it makes me scared and I worry about our future and our kid’s future. Why can’t we be happy with what we have. Why do we have to have more bigger and new things?    
Companies know what many of us are after and that’s why whether you agree or understand that we are their target. That’s why every year they start their advertisement earlier than last year competing with other companies. They don’t care about family values or how important Thanksgiving day is. They only care how much profit they can make on Thanksgiving day. I feel sorry  for many employees who would rather be at home with family or friends but what choice do they have.
I grew up having very high family values and my family was, is and always will be at the top of my priorities and I really wish many people who don’t understand how important family is, can understand. I also know not everyone is lucky to have a family but family is not just blood relatives. Anyone who cares about you or you care about them makes them a part of your family. I wish and hope on this 2014 Thanksgiving everyone has a great time with family and friends and please think before stepping out of the door for black Friday shopping,  
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment