Monday, March 24, 2014

Ballroom dancing


            When I was growing up in Karachi, dancing was considered a bad thing especially dancing in front of males and elders. And there was this mentality that good people aren’t supposed to dance but when watching movies and it was okay to watch other people dance. I also heard from our elders, since growing up we watched Bollywood movies dancing is a part of the Hindu culture and that’s why it’s okay for them to dance.  But in Pakistani weddings the young were allow to dance but not women.
            If you grow up with that kind of mentality then your brain believes everything until you start growing up and start thinking on your own and begin asking questions such as, why is dancing bad for you and how does dancing define you as a good or bad person? As a young child I believed everything about my culture but growing up I didn’t agree with a lot of things especially why women can’t dance. In Karachi I didn’t see any kind of dancing schools or any kind of fun activities for kids. But once I moved to the States I saw many fun activities for kids based on the kid’s desires. I really liked that. I gave my girls full freedom about any activities they would like to join including learning any kind of dancing.
Growing up I didn’t have many opportunities; I accepted the life style that was chosen for me. I did what I had to do but once my girls were about to finish high school and getting ready to go to their Universities I realized I would have a lot of free time and thought to myself now is the time I can do the things I would like to do and one thing is taking a dance class.
At the beginning, I was a little hesitant because this was something new and different for me. But one of my friends convinced me and I signed up for a ballroom dancing class. In the movies ballroom dancing looks so beautiful and pretty to me. At first I was really shy but as soon as I met other people who were also taking the class for the first time I felt more relaxed and comfortable. I realized why growing up women weren’t allow to take dance classes. I think it’s because when you are dancing it’s with another male and you are standing very close to him, from a cultural prospective this is the reason why. I don’t agree with it but I understand.
 My class is once a week and I look forward going there. I enjoy dressing up for the class and have so far learned how to Waltz, Swing, Rumba, Foxtrot and Cha-Cha. I have found dancing to be fun, relaxing, learning, experience, and as a woman I felt prettier. I danced with lots of other men and none of them made me feel uncomfortable or dirty. I also learned when you are dancing with your partner it’s not just about your body movements but also about trusting each other. Ballroom dancing is classy, beautiful, sophisticated, and an enjoyable dance. I am glad I didn’t wait anymore and got to experience this. But I wonder, if I had any Pakistani men in my class would I feel comfortable dancing with just like I am comfortable dancing with Americans?  

No comments:

Post a Comment